Alfaz del Pi (Valencian: l'Alfàs del Pi) is a Spanish town and municipality located in the south-west of the comarca Marina Baja, the province of Alicante. The town is situated very close to Albir, Altea, La Nucia and Benidorm. The permanent population is 21,969 inhabitants (the 2013 census) among which the 56% are foreigners. Alfaz del Pi has the second largest concentration of Norwegian residents abroad, along with sizable Dutch and English communities.
Alfaz del Pi is an old town founded in order to protect the land from the pirates. The name of the town comes from the Arabic word ‘al-fas’ which means “fertile land” (here are planted oranges, lemons, almonds, figs and locust beans). Despite the developed agricultural sector, the main public revenue is tourism.
The word ‘Pi’ in Alfaz del Pi refers to the Valencian name of the pine planted by the locals in the main square in 1786 as a symbol of their hope to get independence from the neighbouring municipality Polop. Alfaz del Pi became independent in 1836 and a pine remains the city official symbol.
Since the 60s the population of Alfaz del Pi has been growing due the arrival of immigrants from other European countries. Nowadays the town is famous for having more permanent foreign residents than the Spanish ones. In Alfaz del Pi there live people of over 50 different nationalities. More than a half of all foreign residents are citizens of Great Britain, Holland and Scandinavian countries. It’s interesting to note that Alfaz del Pi has the largest residential community of Norwegian speakers in the world after Norway itself (about 2,000 persons).
The town is located 5 km away from Benidorm and approximately 50 km away from Alicante. You can easily get there by car, by bus, taxi or suburban train TRAM.
The municipality of Alfaz del Pi has over 4 km of coastline in Albir, its most populous area.
Sierra Helada nature reserve got the status of national park in 2005. The territory of Sierra Helada stretches up from Benidorm to Altea and includes sand dunes, impressive cliffs and a 300-meter mountain covered with peculiar vegetation.
Bombarda Tower (Torre Bombarda) is a historical monument.
Ochre mines (Monas de Ocre) are situated at the bottom of Sierra Helada and conserve the evidences of ancient Mediterranean civilization, the remains of fruit gardens and mining activities.
St. Joseph Parish Church (Iglesia Parroquial San José) was built in 1784 in the honour of the city’s patron saint.
The church of the Holy Spirit (Iglesia Espíritu Santo) built in 2010 and located close to the beach.
Count’s Castle (Castillo del Conde de Alfaz) is a medieval performance for all ages organized by the hotel chain Magic Costablanca.
La Creueta Celebrations (Fiestas de la Creueta) take place on the 1st of May. According to city tradition, during three days the solemn Masses, children’s games and other festive events are organized round the stone cross adorned with flowers.
The official City Celebrations take place in the second half of August, on November 6 and 10 and from the 6th to the 8th of December. During these days the locals and the tourists enjoy fancy-dress processions, gastronomic competitions, medieval markets, open-air concerts, performances and of course colourful fireworks.
Surface Area518 m2